January 15, 2013
Posted in: MoHow by Dr. Mo
Today I want to address the question of uncertainty….
As with you, my life is filled with uncertainty. In the past this presented significant problems to me. The result was that I used to feel worried, nervous and anxious. I also experienced doubt and fear of the unknown. I want to share a way of thinking and strategies I began to develop over 30 years ago that have been exceptionally helpful to me.
I now live in a place that I call ‘THE LAND OF YOU NEVER KNOW’ and in this reality it’s up to me to make the best of my life. This is a place where I regard uncertainty as an opportunity to learn, grow, and improve. Here are 5 things I do, that you can also, to address uncertainty more constructively:
1. ACCEPT that this is the way life is. You may have a sense of things, however there will always be details that are unexpected.
2. DEVELOP an optimistic outlook where you believe that no matter what happens you will be able to handle it.
3. REGARD uncertainty as an opportunity for growth and discovery. Remember that if everything were certain you’d never learn anything new.
4. QUIET your mind and body through stretching and meditation. You will reduce your tension and your stress and will be more flexible in dealing with anything.
5. REMIND yourself that ONE OF THE ONLY THINGS THAT YOU CAN DEPEND ON IN LIFE, IS UNCERTAINTY.
If you want help to develop this way of thinking, consider becoming a member of Maintain Momentum and enrolling in the Momentum Mind course where you can learn to think this way, and do these things. The result will be more momentum in your life and much more comfort with uncertainty.